Principles of a healthy vegetarian diet
- Variety of vegetables – the diet shouldn’t be dull
- Appropriate caloric intake that usually assures an adequate protean intake (WHO)
- Limited intake of refined foods (refined cereals, sugar, oil) and processed foods
- Vegetable fats and not animal fats.
- Optional consumption of eggs, milk and dairy products that have a low content of fat or the ones which are skim.
- Adequate intake (6-8 glasses/day) of water between meals and other liquids.
- Adequate sun exposure
- Active life style: daily exercise