Observational study, 1997-2002
Characteristics of the group of patients studied in Herghelia program:
- 500 patients
- At least two major risk factors for CVD
- One of them was cholesterol > 200 mg/dl
- The period of the stay was about 11 days, and they were performed biochemical test at admission and after 10 days.
- The medication for dyslipidemia, type 2 diabetes, ischemic cardiopathy and hypertension was either:
- in a lower dose – in the big majority of cases
- anyhow, the dose was not increased
- maintained at the same level
Results after 10 days
- Total cholesterol dropped with 25% (it is known that with every 1 mg/dl of lower cholesterol the risk for ischemic cardiopathy is decreased with 2%)
- Even for the patients with initial cholesterol of 180-200 mg/dl, the cholesterol dropped with 20%!
- HDL cholesterol (good) was increased with 17%
- LDL cholesterol (bad) was decreased with 29%
- Triglycerides dropped with 26%
All those results added to the disappearance of chest pain for the patients with cardiopathy shows a spectacular decrease of cardiovascular risks and of inflammation associated with this, as well a decrease of coronary symptoms.
To validate these results we have conducted a randomized clinical trial in cooperation with researchers from Loma Linda University. The results have validated the data obtained over the years. Here are some of the results obtained in 10 days of lifestyle treatment in Herghelia, for a group of 49 subjects that came from three companies, many of them being still young and without presenting any obvious cardiovascular risk factors – you can expect the same results if you come to Herghelia:
- Decrease of the total blood cholesterol with 31% on average
- Lowering the LDL cholesterol with 34%
- Lowering the triglycerides by 22%
- Lowering the blood sugar (glucose) with 25%
- Lowering the systolic blood pressure with 17.5 mmHg and the diastolic blood pressure with 9.5 mmHg
- 6 kilograms weight loss, on average
- Smoking cessation rate: 77%.
Those results if obtained naturally, without any risk of side effects, can have a decisive contribution to the reversal of some health conditions such as ischemic cardiopathy (coronary disease), diabetes, obesity, dyslipidemia, etc. It is known that:
- Smoking cessation lowers the risk for myocardial infarction with 50-75% in 5 years.
- Lowering the cholesterol with 1% reduces the risk for myocardial infarction with 2-3%.
- Regular exercise lowers the risk for the same condition with 45.
- For the obese persons, the normalization of body weight lowers the risk for myocardial infarction with 35-55%.
- Lowering the blood pressure with 1 mmHg lowers the risk of hearth attack with 2-3%.